It is practice policy to offer the service of Repeat Prescriptions to our Clients. To ensure repeats comply with the requirements of the Health & Safety and COSHH regulations the following code of practice has been put in place which means that:
• All requests for repeat prescriptions must be written down, checked and approved by a veterinary surgeon.
• Drugs must be dispensed by one person and checked by another, before they can be given to you.
• A written record of every medicine dispensed must be kept with the details of who authorized it, who dispensed it ad who checked it.
• We are not allowed to prescribe more than three months’ worth of treatment.
• We are not allowed to dispense PRESCRIPTION ONLY MEDICINES for animals we have not seen for more than six months.
Clients are therefore requested to give a minimum of 48 hours’ notice for a repeat prescription so that it can be checked and dispensed before you call in. Therefore, if your pet is on long term medication, we must ask you to ensure that we check your pet over every six months at least, even if you feel that all is well., the standard charge for this health check is on the price list. This regulation was brought in to protect animals from suffering caused by problems developing, that could be over looked because the animal is on medication.
There are many drugs available for use in practice some are licensed only for use in animals, some in people and some called “generics” that are not licensed as such, but are made to a standard laid down by the government and are the medicines that the government insist doctors use on us, as they are much cheaper. It is now an offence for Veterinary Surgeons to supply medicines for pets, that are not specifically licensed for use in animals, if there is a licensed alternative. Where there is a choice it has always been our policy to use medicines that produce the most successful results with the least side-effects.
We are happy to supply a written prescription for prescription items if you wish to have your drugs dispensed by a qualified Pharmacist. There will be a charge for EACH prescription to cover the cost of the administration time.
Please allow 48 hours (excluding weekends) before collecting medication. If there are any issues with your request, we will contact you.
If you wish to collect from Pennington, please contact the Surgery on 01590 673687 to arrange a convenient collection time, due to restricted opening of the Surgery. We apologise for any inconvenience.